Regional accents and dialects (Was: The best hard drives??

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Nov 19 18:33:15 CST 2020

On 11/19/20 3:56 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
> How many are aware that the capital of South Dakota, "PIERRE" is
> pronounced by the locals "PEER"?
>

> Is the "correct" pronunciation the dominant local one?

That's the way I learned it.

Other US cities:

Valparaiso (IN)
Edinburgh (IN)
Cairo (IL)
Des Plaines (IL)
Creve Coeur, (MO) (That's "Creeve Core" to you, thank you)
etc. etc.

One of the strangest US situations is the pronunciation of the Arkansas
river.  In Kansas and eastern Colorado, it's said the way that it's
spelled, with the final "s".  Go further downstream into Oklahoma and
central Colorado and the state of Arkansas, it's "Arkansaw".

I won't delve into the geographical names of the Welsh tract in
Pennsylvania...

--Chuck