Regional accents and dialects (Was: The best hard drives??

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Thu Nov 19 16:06:00 CST 2020

On Thu, 19 Nov 2020, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
> Huh. I did not know Baltimore was not pronounced boll-tea-more.

I was told that the "correct" pronunciation was BAWL-tim-more

Well, admittedly, there was a time half a century ago, when certain forces
objected to the "MISpronunciation".  Radio staff, in response to the
pressure, said bawl - TEA-more.

Half a century ago, there were horse drawn rag carts, a lot of cobblestone
streets, giant mutant rats at the harbor, and major renovation being
started.  Along route 40, and many other major streets, there were dozens
of blocks slated for demolition.  They developed a style of their own;
they took all of the doors from inside a condemned group of houses and
nailed those together to make a fence.  So, there would be block after
block of multicolored door-fence from street corner to street
corner, punctuated at intervals by marble doorsteps.
I have heard that the harbor is now a tourist destination; that probably
includes a reduction of the rat population.

Long Island (NY) was pronounced Lawn-GUY-land