Regional accents and dialects (Was: The best hard drives??

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Nov 19 11:11:02 CST 2020

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 12:20:36PM -0800, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
[...]
>> But yesterday, I discovered that the 'L' in words such as "palm", "balm" and
>> "psalm" is _no longer_ silent and is actively pronounced in some regions of
>> the US, and mere surprise was no longer adequate and I was forced to resort
>> to astonishment.

They're soft but not silent in my accent. But you're from the northwest and all
bets are off when it comes to how the pie-eaters speak. Presumably at least the
"P" in "psalm" is silent, because that really does sound weird if not.

> Nobody around here will use Worcestershire sauce, because they are afraid to
> even try to pronounce it.

Call it "Lea and Perrins" like the rest of us, except in Sheffield where it's
called "Henderson's" for reasons that Yorkshiremen will readily expand upon in
depth, regardless of whether or not you actually wanted to know.