WTB: AUI cables

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Nov 17 16:05:39 CST 2020

> On Nov 17, 2020, at 4:57 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On 11/17/20 1:03 PM, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:
>
>> Agony?  Considering the alternatives to compare it to at the time
>> not really much agony.
>
> (Sorry for the blank response, but my email client has moved the buttons!)
>
> At any  rate, I'll take 10Base2 over 10Base5 any day.  Lots of BNC
> fittings I find to be preferable to "vampire taps" and tape measures.
> Just remember the terminators.

That's true for either kind.  Also remember to put the terminators only at the ends.  I've seen magazine articles showing a terminator in the middle (on a T connector)!

BTW, you can mix the two, just connect the sections with a BNC to N barrel.  Use the 10Base2 limits in that case.

The measuring stuff only really matters for large installations.  If you're using thickwire with 20 stations or 100 meters or small configs like that, don't worry about it.

	paul