The best hard drives??

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Nov 17 00:21:21 CST 2020

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020, 10:37 PM Ethan O'Toole via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> >    In the opinions of you experts out there considering reliability
> being
> > number one on the list with speed be number two on the list what would
> you
> > folks consider to be the best SATA drives on the market?
> > GOD Bless and Thanks,
> > rich!
>
> HGST. 4TB seem really good.
>
> You can also see what backblaze stats currently says.

All the HGST Helium drives are quite  good. The 6TB and 8TB are the most
reliable, with the 10TB and 12TB being just barely less reliable
(measurablely less, but only just). All of these models much better than
the non helium drives (I think the 4TB is not Helium, but still quite
good). They are almost in the same class as SSDs for reliability, at least
in well regulated environments.

Warner