PC Fortran (Was: Microsoft open sources GWBASIC

Mich.com dmabry at mich.com
Sun May 31 20:25:05 CDT 2020

Sent from my iPhone.

> On May 31, 2020, at 9:16 PM, Bill Gunshannon <bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 5/31/20 8:35 PM, Mich.com wrote:
>> Sent from my iPhone.

>>> Which is even funnier when you realize that the PL/M compiler
>>> was written in Fortran.
>>>
>>> bill
>> As I recall, it was the cross compiler for PL/M that was written in FORTRAN. But that came first, before any 8080-hosted PL/M compiler.
>
> You are definitely right on that. I forget what it was intended to run
> on, probably some minicomputer like a DEC System-10 or -20.  Hmmm...  I
> wonder if it would compile with Fortran-80 on my TRS-80.  That might be
> fun to see.  I even have corrected sources around here somewhere because
> after all those years of people using it I found a few bugs in the two
> sets of sources that were floating around the Internet.  :-)
>
> bill

I remember the “technical Computer center” people at Chrysler where I worked talking about making the PL/M compiler run on our CDC Cyber computers (60-bit). It was a bit of work. I seem to remember thinking it was written to run on an IBM mainframe, if that makes sense. But they got it working and we used it until Intel came out with their 8080-based development systems. Then we started using them to compile.

Dave