Microsoft open sources GWBASIC

Tony Duell ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com
Sun May 31 18:25:50 CDT 2020

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 5:53 PM Liam Proven via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 May 2020 at 19:56, Tony Duell <ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 7:24 PM Liam Proven via cctalk
> > <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> >
> > There were also some pretty high-spec British microcomputers, but they
> > tended to flop owing to the price. Things like the HH Tiger (did it
> > ever go into production? Prototypes certainly exist).
>
> True!
>
> Yes, a friend has (or had) one.

I have one.

> He amassed a huge collection, then
> sold the lot and bought a Tesla. :-)

Assuming a 'Tesla' is an electric car, I'd  rather be in the reverse
position (selling said car and being able to buy some interesting old
computers...)]

> > Which were those? I thought all the Amstrad disk-based CPCs and PCWs
> > could run CP/M
>
> When you say "disk-based" you are excluding the GSX console and the
> cassette-based ones, right?

Yes. CP/M I think really needs some kind of random-access storage. I
guess the Epson PX8 etc ran CP/M and had (micro)cassette storage but
it was a bit of kludge. So I was only considering the Amstrads with
disk drives.

> The machine I referred to was the PcW 16:
>
> http://www.fvempel.nl/pcw16.html

Ah, now that I had never come across. Thanks...

-tony