FS (a little OT): Telular Phonecell SX5 GSM Fixed Terminals (x2)

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Sat May 30 20:10:56 CDT 2020

I know that there's a few people on this list who mess around with homebrew
GSM networks and OpenBTS, so I'll offer these here first.

I am getting rid of my two Telular Phonecell SX5 fixed GSM terminals. These
are 2G devices that present a phone line and a serial port. They have dial
tone emulation and can allow a regular phone handset to send and receive
calls. (There is some fax support but I've never used that functionality.) The
serial port is directly connected to the GSM modem so that you can also
use it for sending and receiving SMS text messages, which is the primary
purpose it served here (so I could ping the house sensor network if the server
line was down).

The reason I'm getting rid of them is because 2G is being sunsetted in the USA
and T-Mobile, the last 2G carrier, will dismantle its nationwide 2G network
by the end of this year. DO NOT BUY THIS IF YOU WANT TO USE IT FOR THAT PURPOSE
unless you are using a regional carrier you know will support it.

On the other hand, if you want a fixed box (or both of them) for your own
private GSM network, such as with an OpenBTS base station, then this will
serve you hopefully as well as it has served me. Both units were purchased
new and I have been their only owner. They include manuals, power supplies,
spike antennae and power cords in the original boxes. SIM cards are not
included and I have removed their old lead-acid battery backups for weight
and because those died long ago.

I'm asking $60 each, or $100 if you want them both, plus shipping. I'm open
to other offers. Please E-mail me off list.

-- FORTUNE: You're wise, but not wise enough not to read this sort of drivel. -