Algol W [was: Microsoft open sources GWBASIC]

John Forecast john at forecast.name
Wed May 27 17:31:34 CDT 2020

On May 27, 2020, at 4:59 PM, Paul Koning via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

>> On May 27, 2020, at 4:25 PM, ben via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 5/27/2020 1:45 PM, Paul McJones via cctalk wrote:
>>
>>> Gogol is a simple, integer arithmetic language used under the PDP-1 time sharing system at Stanford. This memorandum includes the syntactical definition of the language and a number of sample programs as well as a brief description of the operational characteristics of the compiler. Gogol was designed to permit fast compilation of efficient machine code directly into memory. The speed of compilation together with the accessibility of the text editor make program de- bugging relatively rapid. The examples presented here plus the availability of the compiler should form an adequate basis for learning to use the language. More detailed information depends heavily on a knowledge of PDP-1 hardware.
>>> https://stacks.stanford.edu/file/druid:jy391jj5758/jy391jj5758.pdf
>> Interesting the asignment is -> (arrow) and the right side of expression.
>
> I remember that from POP-2, which I think was created at U of Edinborough.  At least we used it at University of Illinois on an AI course taught by a visiting professor who came from there.  Odd language, I haven't seen it since.

I used POP-2 at the University of Lancaster (ICL1909) and the University of Essex (PDP-10) in the late ‘60s and early ‘70s. The language implemented an open stack so to swap the contents of 2 variables you would use:

	A, B ->A ->B

POP-2 later morphed into POP-11 running under Unix on a PDP-11. Later came POPLOG which merged in support for PROLOG and LISP. There is a open-source implementation of POPLOG available.

   John.