Early Nubus history

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Sun May 24 10:39:14 CDT 2020

On 5/24/20 8:34 AM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:
> On 5/24/20 8:20 AM, Michael Thompson via cctalk wrote:
>>>
>>>  Ron Hochsprung(Apple)
>
> Ron was the senior engineer working on the Mac II
> with Mike Dewey. With 20/20 hindsight, the DIN connector
> should have been on the far end from the I/O fence
> on the Mac form-factor Nubus.

The issue was it was very crowded on the right side of the
card when doing board layout with the nubus and I/O there.

But then, you couldn't have built short-length cards later.

I'd have to dig out my spec to see if those were even
standard compliant.

NeXT pushed for the double-clock edge version of the bus.
I think block mode happened around then as well.