(V)HDL Toolsets

David Kuder dk at thewaffleiron.net
Thu May 21 08:23:39 CDT 2020

I've taken to using parts supported by the open source toolchains & IP,
that mostly limits me to using Lattice parts, but the efficiencies obtained
from not instancing all the extra garbage from a vendor's IP library is
worth it.  When you use the vendor tools, they want to waste as many gates
as they can get away with so you buy larger more expensive parts.  The open
source toolchains optimize out stuff that would just get left dangling.

https://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=5018 gives a good overview of what
this can look like and the NeTV2 is a project that uses the migen/litex
toolchain well.