[cctalk] Re: Replacing the Flyback Transformer From My VAXmate

Gregory Beat w9gb at icloud.com
Mon May 18 14:08:26 CDT 2020

Tai-Ho (Taiwan) was the OEM supplier for flyback transformers used by Apple in the early Macintosh computers (1984+).

Russell Industries (New York, USA) produced replacement flyback transformers for monitors and TVs, these appear on eBay and remaining TV repair supply houses.

As noted, while the circular pin-out is often standardized, the voltages need to be double-checked.

From: "Rob Jarratt" <robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com>
To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts"
Subject: Replacing the Flyback Transformer From My VAXmate

I am about as certain as I can be that the flyback transformer from my
VAXmate monitor board has failed. I know this is probably impossible, but I
am wondering if there is a way to find a more modern equivalent? How
standardised are these things? I do see a lot that appear to have the same
circular arrangement of the pins.

The VAXmate one is a Tai-Ho TH-1802B and according the Technical Description
has a primary voltage of +28V and produces auxiliary voltages as follows:

+13.1kV @85uA max
+950V @200uA
+45V @75mA max
-100V @1.2mA


More information about the cctalk mailing list