Has My VAXmate Flyback Transformer Failed?

Holm Tiffe holm at freibergnet.de
Wed May 13 02:19:09 CDT 2020

Rob Jarratt via cctalk wrote:

> I have been looking at the flyback transformer from my VAXmate. I think it
> could have failed but I can't be completely sure. I have posted a
> description here:
> https://robs-old-computers.com/2020/05/12/vaxmate-flyback-transformer/
>

> Can anyone offer an opinion?
>

> Thanks
>

> Rob

Hi Rob,

I think that the FBT is bad and it is the cause for overloding that
diode in the PSU.
This is an usual scenario for old Monitor Hardware, nothing new.
The Epoxy in the FBT gets hard and brittle over the time and therefore
it cracks internally..causing winding shorts or opens.
Look if you can get an replacement FBT somwehre on the surplus market.
Please post all the numbers on the FBT-Label..if any exists.

Regards,

Holm

info at tsht.de Fax +49 3731 74200 Tel +49 3731 74222 Mobil: 0172 8790 741