Replacing Power LED on MicroVAX 3100/95 Power Supply

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Sun May 10 08:56:28 CDT 2020

Rob Jarratt wrote:

> In fixing my PSU I managed to break the leads to the LED on the front of the
> PSU, probably through metal fatigue.
>

> I seem to remember people saying it is quite difficult to replace these,
> mainly because you can't get them out without breaking the holder. Is that
> right? Has anyone done this successfully and have any tips?

Is this the green LED in a H7821 PSU? I managed to get one out of the holder
with a bit of difficulty before I realised I could have left it in place and
the board can just about get past it when the plug at the far end of the leads
feeding it is plugged out from the board.

As far as I recall, the holder is in two parts and I think the two parts have
to be separated before the LED will come out of the holder or the holder will
come out of the hole it is mounted in.

> Are there any recommendations for a replacement? If I remember correctly the
> LEDs used in those days were not as bright as modern ones and a modern one
> would end up being much brighter because of the higher voltage maybe?

Maybe it would be possible to tack blobs of solder onto what's left of the
leads on the original and use them to attach fine leads, digging out a small
amount of the LED casing around the leads if necessary?

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.