APL-11

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 17:26:45 CDT 2020

On 3/30/20 2:22 PM, Zane Healy wrote:

>> On Mar 30, 2020, at 10:38 AM, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

>>> APL-11 was released through DECUS. Here is the RSX-11 version
>>> http://www.classiccmp.org/PDP-11/RSX-11/freeware/decus/rsx85a/370360/
>>
>> Unfortunately, that appears to be yet a third version of APL using the
>> name APL-11. According to the documentatio it will only run on RSX.
>>
>> The one I am looking for was written for DEC by OMSI and will run on
>> all three OSes.  It also appears to be more feature rich and supports
>> ASCII as well as APL terminals.
>>
>> I am saddened more every day as I discover more and more of our history
>> that has been lost.
>>
>> bill
>
> Has anyone ever figured out what happened to all the OMSI software?  The more I learn, the more I’m amazed.  I’d love to know where in their old building they had PDP-11’s squirreled away.  I spent a lot of time there in the 70’s and early 80’s, yet never realized they were doing all this.  The software I’d really love to get access to is their graphical version of Wumpus.

Somewhere around here I have OMSI Pascal.  I think I may even
still have the documentation. Didn't know what other languages
they did til I read the docs on APL-11 and saw that DEC had
contracted them to create it.

Don't imagine there is much chance of Mary Erichsen being around.
She was the contact listed for Pascal-2 from them in the Sourcebook.

bill