HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist license program is closing

James B DiGriz jbdigriz at dragonsweb.org
Wed Mar 11 17:52:54 CDT 2020

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 13:52:21 -0700
Al Kossow via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 3/11/20 12:59 PM, James B DiGriz wrote:
> > In which case, why not a FOSS release?
>
> Bob Supnik got Unisys to release the sources to BTOS while he was
> VP of engineering, but we've never been able to find a copy of them.
>
> They outsourced support to India, and all traces to what happened to
> the software have vanished.

HCL, maybe? They come immediately to mind as having the
necessary clearances that many BTOS installations would have required.
Or would they have been too late in the game? I'm not clear on the time
frame of the outsourcing. Just a guess, anyway.

Of course, the code might have ended up elsewhere, too, given those
types of installations. Not the only Unisys mysteries I've ever
encountered :-)

jbdigriz