Prime 50-Series emulator announcement

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Wed Mar 11 14:10:33 CDT 2020

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 11:41:22AM -0400, Dennis Boone via cctalk wrote:

> I'm reposting this announcement from Jim Wilcoxson.
>
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.prime
> Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 08:34:13 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Prime emulator source released on GitHub
> From: Jim Wilcoxson <prirun at gmail.com>
>
> Today, with much help from Dennis Boone, I'm releasing the Prime
> emulator source code on GitHub for non-commercial use.

This is exciting news.  I've been curious about Primes ever since I first
heard of the emulator.  I took the publicly accessible systems for a spin
way back then, but have forgotten what I learned.

I was an IBM z/OS operator for a couple of decades.  The system operation
side is what interests me most.  I've been hoping that the emulator and
PRIMOS would be released to hobbyists some day.

I've downloaded and built the emulator, and grabbed the available tape
images and documentation, but I have no idea where to go from there.  I'm
looking forward to any future information, disk image releases, etc.  I've
already skimmed through a bit of the operations guide.  I might be able to
figure out how to install PRIMOS from tapes with the help of the Admin
Guide(s).  Info on configuring the emulator, creating disk images, etc.,
would be helpful.  I did find emulator command examples in em.c.  I
anticipate some sleep deprivation in the near future.  I've been known to
loose track of time exploring new to me older systems.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.