HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist license program is closing

Richard Loken rlloken at telus.net
Sat Mar 7 12:48:20 CST 2020

On Sat, 7 Mar 2020, John H. Reinhardt via cctalk wrote:

> For those interested, HPE has finally, formally announced the end of their
> participation in the OpenVMS Hobbyist Program.  A number of people have
> received the below message from HPE, probably everyone they have on record
> as having current Hobbyist licenses.

I humbly suggest that HPE might issue VAX hobbyist licenses that don't
expire since they and VSI don't have a significant financial interest in it.
Removing the expiration date does not remove any obligation from the licence
holder and does not remove HPE's rights as the owner of the software.

Alpha and Itanium licenses are a differant matter, there is still a market
for them and development continuues to some degree.

I only run an Alpha hobby machine so I have nothing to gain from a lifetime
VAX license.  I have both PMDF and Multinet licenses that don't expire and
I paid honest money for them but I doubt I can afford the price of a VMS
license.
--
   Richard Loken VE6BSV         	  : "...underneath those tuques we wear,
   Athabasca, Alberta Canada       : our heads are naked!"