HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist license program is closing

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at thereinhardts.org
Sat Mar 7 05:33:37 CST 2020

For those interested, HPE has finally, formally announced the end of their participation in the OpenVMS Hobbyist Program.  A number of people have received the below message from HPE, probably everyone they have on record as having current Hobbyist licenses.

If you have any current or future ( at least before the end of 2021 ) interest in Hobbyist licenses for any version of OpenVMS from 5.0 through 8.4 for VAX ( only up to 7.3) or Alpha and Itanium, then register now.  HPE is looking to find out how many are interested in Hobbyist offerings and even though the new license will be good through 2021, I don't expect them to be generating them past the end of 2020 and maybe sooner.

Register for Hobbyist PAKs at one of the following (I suggest the HPE address first):

https://www.hpe.com/h41268/live/index_e.aspx?qid=24548

http://plato.ccsscorp.com/hobbyist_registration.php
    Note the underscore between hobbyist and registration in hobbyist_registration.

One Hobbyist user reports this:

    I’ve just received an update from the OpenVMS Customer lab:

    Here’s the message from the OpenVMS team.  The idea was that hobbyists would visit the site and renew their licenses, and in response, we would provide the final set of licenses,

    explaining the scenario:

    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

       As we approach the end of the HPE OpenVMS V8.4 standard support period, HPE

       plans to conclude the HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist license program.

       The HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist licenses we are issuing in 2020 will be the last set.

       Subsequently, HPE will not issue new HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist licenses. Attached

       is the final set of the HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist licenses. These final licenses

       are valid through December 31st, 2021. We hope that this additional validity

       period will enable users to plan for the future.

       Users who wish to avail of HPE OpenVMS long term licenses are encouraged to

       purchase permanent licenses at standard prices. You may contact [Fellman, Jon]

       <jon.fellman at hpe.com <mailto:jon.fellman at hpe.com>> for the same.

    Cheers, Wiz!!

John H. Reinhardt