Mystery 1970 core board

s shumaker shumaker at att.net
Wed Mar 4 18:24:17 CST 2020

On 3/3/2020 4:18 PM, Jules Richardson via cctalk wrote:

> Hopefully collective wisdom can help on this one - does anyone have a
> clue what system this core board was from:
> http://www.classiccmp.org/acornia/tmp/coresmall.jpg
>
> The curved edge connectors (presumably to make board insertion easier)
> are quite distinctive, plus the way the power's fed in via an edge
> connector on the "far" side of the board. What's interesting to me is
> the core ring size; the TTL ICs on the board have 1970 date codes, but
> I didn't think that the rings got quite that small until right at the
> end of core's era, more toward the end of the decade.
>
> It seems to be 8 blocks of 64x64, i.e. 4KB. p/n on the main board of
> 2001000755, and just hidden from view under the core daughterboard is
> a logo that says "LEC", which I suppose might be meaningful.
>
> There's a bigger (2181x1863) image as "coreboard.jpg" in the same dir
> if more detail helps (I doubt it), but it's 2.4MB so maybe save Jay's
> bandwidth by only looking at that one if you absolutely have to :-)
>
> thanks,
>
> Jules

LEC was the Lockheed Electronics Company, Avionics and Industrial
Products Division, located in Los Angeles.  part number noted matches
their part numbering structure.  I have manuals for two of their devices
that were rack mountable core memory systems.  The CE-100 product
brochure described it as 4K, 8K, &16K words up to 36bits targeting small
and medium computer central memory.

Steve