Early 3M Computer Tape Type Numbers

Tom Gardner t.gardner at computer.org
Sun Jun 28 19:08:03 CDT 2020

FWIW this is an announcement of a 3M brochure from a 1957 Datamation:

Magnetic Tape for Instrumentation,  an 8-page brochure, covers six types of "Scotch" brand instrumentation tapes for use in telemetering and airborne recording, machine tool control systems, computers, geophysical recording, and other instrumentation applications. Included are charts listing physical and magnetic properties of each of the precision tapes and a comparison chart summary of major factors in selecting a tape for a particular application.

Minnesota Mining & Mfg. Co., 900 Bush St., St. Paul 6, Minn.

Circle 113 on Reader Service Card

Apparently  3M “Instrumentation tapes” can be used for “computers”

AFAIK 3M early “Instrumentation tape” types include Type 148/149 and Type 480/481 but both were announced after the 1957 brochure mentioned above

It looks like all 3M “Type” tapes of this early era were available in a variety of widths, from ¼-inch to 2 inches