Future of cctalk/cctech (comment on address fields) , capturing Discord server traffi

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Thu Jun 25 15:27:02 CDT 2020

On 6/16/2020 5:21 AM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:
> With Jay retiring, what are the hosting plans for these mailing lists?

I have an observation for when the list migrates.  The current message
"From" field contains the name of the original sender but with the
encoded address of the list as the email address

For example this has

Al Kossow via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>

Some email clients have a feature which try to automatically capture the
"from" and add them to a local address book.  Thunderbird has 3 layers
(at least) of address books.  The "discovered" email addresses as I
describe here, the local address book if you use it with your manually
added contacts, and finally if you sync it with an outside contact
facility such as Google or another server.

The addresses from these mailings end up with a number of captured
entries in the local address books which don't point back at the actual
sender, but to the list.  I've not had it happen many times, but you do
have to watch using short names (like if I create an email to "al") that
it gets the correct address.

I don't recall what the list used to do, but I know there were changes
made a few years ago which resulted in this. I don't have a criticism,
just an observation to toss in to the mix once the list(s) are migrated
to visit this.  I know Jay tore his hair out then, and appreciate this
isn't a simple problem (maybe others too).

I know Jay mentioned the Discord server which is very active, but I wish
that it could be captured as an archive to be perused in the same way as
the cctalk list (I have all the emails since I joined), the vcf list
(searchable I think mostly by google).  These serve as a great resource,
and I'm not sure that the discord server where such information is
discussed is captured.

thanks
Jim