Future of cctalk/cctech

Boris Gimbarzevsky boris at summitclinic.com
Fri Jun 19 21:05:29 CDT 2020

Agree that current mailing list format is best as simple, low
bandwidth and can always post links to images or other large
files.  I still use Eudora as my email client and have text only
emails.  Seems to perplex a lot of people I deal with when I can't
read their emails, but it seems somewhat wastefull to use 1-2 Mb to
send a message that only needs 200 bytes at most (once one strips off
all zero-information fluff from the email).  Run my own mailserver as
well so can email myself massive attachments when email is only way
of getting data off a remote machine.

Images take up a lot of space and are best dealt with via
links.  I've run my own webserver/ftpserver since 1999 and find
that's the easiest way of sharing large files with people.  While
it's nice having high resolution photos like those that Samsung
phones creat, they're in the 3-5 Mb size range.  If I need to put a
lot of photos on a web page, I'll use the free Photo Studio program
(written by John Hawkins) which creates a web page with a series of
thumbnails with full image available by clicking on thumbnail and can
set size of thumbnail image.  Rather old, but works fine for simple
web pages where all one wants to do is serve up a set of images.

Remember 15 years ago that online documentation was sparse but have
found most DEC manuals are online and C64 stuff a lot easier to find
than it used to be.  Being rather paranoid, I've downloaded manuals
for all machines I have and keep a duplicate copy of everything.

Not sure how many people are on cctalk/cctech, but keeping everything
text only would be best way of minimizing bandwidth for whoever hosts it,

Boris Gimbarzevsky