Fixing an RK8E ....

Vincent Slyngstad v.slyngstad at frontier.com
Fri Jun 19 16:19:50 CDT 2020

On 6/19/2020 12:24 PM, Robert Armstrong via cctalk wrote:
> Ok, maybe a bad bit in the command register so I'll check it out.  But then
> it dawns on me - how do you work on this thing?  It's three boards connected
> with "over the top" connectors - you can't use a module extender on it.
> Worse, the M7105 Major Registers board is the middle one of the stack!   Is
> there some secret to working on this thing?  Has anybody fixed one?  Any
> suggestions?
>
>    I hadn't thought about it before, but the KK8E CPU would have the same
> problem.  Fingers crossed that one never dies...

Jack Rubin has worked on this problem a fair bit, and his solution:
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?47821-DEC-extender-adapter-for-over-the-top-OMNIBUS-boards

Basically he's found a compatible edge connector, and made a little PCB
that interfaces it to a a ribbon cable.  A couple of those per cable and
you are all set.

You may want to contact him about acquiring the female edge connectors,
as they can only be ordered in bulk.  (It might be my turn to order
them, if he's out.)

	Vince