Future of cctalk/cctech

Bill Degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 08:23:36 CDT 2020

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 9:11 AM Al Kossow via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> > I wonder what you don't like about "groups.io" Its pretty much a pure
> mailing list?
>
> Like all of the webby time-wasters, they don't have easy to mirror zipped
> archives, because
> they want to to spend time hovering around clicking on their sites.
>

> http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/
>

> The one thing I would change here is removal of the restriction on
> attachments.
>
> Well, two things.. Getting rid of the cctalk/cctech split as well.

I can't imagine Google does not scrape these lists for data mining/sell to
3rd party advertisers and companies who would benefit from it.  Having an
independent list means the authors of the content maintain some degree of
ownership.  Sure the list is public on the web but at least it's left in
its original form, not parsed and run through a database for sale.  I don't
have the time to find out for sure but if I did I bet one would see a
change in the ads that pop up in social media based on the contents of the
user group hosted on Google.  That said, if Google paid the author a little
for each post that got a +1 for accuracy/usefulness like sourceforge does,
that might be nice.  It's all about having a little say in who uses the
output of my brain. I work by the hour in my day job, I don't give away my
knowledge in skills, that little I have.

Bill