Amiga Vendors?

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Tue Jun 16 19:15:36 CDT 2020

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 03:02:57PM +0200, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 at 19:51, Tomasz Rola via cctalk
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> >
> > From time to time I behave like a normal human and, for example, zip
> > channels on my cable tv. Few years ago, while stopping at their "see
> > what we have on offer to you, prospective viewer" kind of channel, it
> > cracked open and I have seen the Workbench screen. Version 1.3 or 2.0,
> > if I am correct. Could be 2.0, so most probably Amiga 1200.

Looks like I mixed few things up. The Workbench was the ugly one, so I
would keep 2.0, but the Amiga for it would have to be A600 then.

Not that it really matters much.

[...]
> The shop had full-length windows at street level. This is not much use
> for a supermarket: the backs of shelves are not very interesting to
> look at, it's hard to get in there to replace marketing posters etc.,
> leaving it open wastes potential shelf space...
>
> So they filled it with big plasma flatscreens (quite new tech at the
> time). They could display animated advertising, special offers etc.

I would say that was cool.

[...]
> I was very surprised to see what looked like a _new_ Amiga deployment
> at that time -- end of the 1990s.
>
> But I guess it was good at its job, and probably required very little
> maintenance...

I guess so, too. Connecting Amiga to plasma was probably the least
hassle of all alternatives. PC would need something special (either
card or converter?), and a hard drive, and a big box, and separate
keyboard and reboot every four(ty) days - Amiga 500 could be just
"stuffed under the rug". And after loading a "demo" from a floppy,
there was no moving parts involved. It could just sit there and
display flying images for years.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola