Amiga Vendors?

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 06:41:10 CDT 2020

On 6/11/20 5:58 AM, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 at 09:52, Ethan Dicks via cctalk
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'd say the Amiga really lost its shine around 20 years ago, about the
>> time Linux was getting serious and Windows 98 dominated the desktop.
>
> Unfortunately, yes, I think you're right.

The 4000T that I have was built in May of '96, and it amazes me that there
was any kind of market for it in light of how widespread PCs on the desktop
had become by that time.

> The original RISC PC had 2 processor slots, but the 2nd was intended
> for co-processors, such as an x86-32 chip which allowed RISC OS to run
> DOS or Windows 3 (or a limited version of Win95) in a window on the
> RISC OS desktop.

I had a StrongARM-based machine with a 486dx4-100 co-processor; it was a
really nice system, and plenty responsive enough for the time, but I never
really got on with RISC OS as an operating system. It's a shame Acorn never
for ARX off the ground.

> There was also a 3rd party multiprocessor board, the Hydra from
> Simtech

I actually have one of those still (which will probably need a home one day
as I no longer have any hardware that supports it). I got it from somewhere
back in my "collect all things Acorn-related" days, but I don't think I
ever even plugged it in.

cheers

Jules