Ever seen a Cromemco Cyclops in the wild?

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 11:37:33 CDT 2020

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 6:14 PM William Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink at verizon.net>
wrote:

> No, I'm afraid not.  I can tell you from both personal experience and from
> the
> designer (Terry Walker) that the chip is either a Mostek MK4008P-9 or an
> AMI
> S4008-9.  I have used both chips.  See my web page:
>
> http://wsudbrink.dyndns.org:8080/cyclops/index.html

You obviously must be correct, and use of a DRAM makes much more sense than
an SRAM. It's possible that an SRAM could be made to work as an image
sensor, but it would not be anywhere near as sensitive as a DRAM. When,
back in 1975, I compared the pinout to the data books I had on hand, and
observed that it exactly matched the 2102, and didn't search any further. I
had no idea that the MK4006 and MK4008 dynamic RAMs happen to have the same
pinout as the 2102 static RAM.  Intel's own 1K DRAMs (1103 PMOS, 2105 NMOS)
do not share that pinout.