intellec MDS80 on eBay

Mich.com dmabry at mich.com
Tue Jun 2 17:55:43 CDT 2020

Sent from my iPhone.

> On Jun 2, 2020, at 6:22 PM, dwight via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> I take it back, there are not the typical two card intel disk controller. I don't see what is the controller. I was the ribbon cable but realize now that was the ICE interface.
> I suspect the card near the bottom of the picture is the controller. It likely still had ISIS software to run the ICE boards but it likely wasn't a compatible disk controller. They'd need to write a BIOS for it as I doubt there is any after market disk controllers that match the original Intel boards.
> Dwight

It looks to me like it IS a standard Intel diskette controller board set. It has the more unusual cable that was meant for the Series II that was meant to upgrade the internal disk drive from single density to double density. See the unused edge connector? It has the sticker that came with that upgrade kit that says internal drive upgraded to double density on the front of the chassis.

The Intel two-board set is in the photo just below the ICE boards. It is dark but you can see there are two boards because of the board ejectors. Follow the cable off one of those boards and it goes to that unused edge connector.

On another topic, not in this system, there WAS a third party controller that emulated the Intel board set and required no BIOS modification. Zendex was the manufacturer. I never used one but it sounded interesting.
It was only one board.

Dave