history is hard

Stefan Skoglund stefan.skoglund at agj.net
Mon Jun 1 05:12:55 CDT 2020

sön 2020-05-31 klockan 10:04 -0500 skrev Jon Elson via cctalk:
> On 05/31/2020 02:06 AM, jim stephens via cctalk wrote:

> > Our /50 had it and I have never seen any indication in the
> > documentation for the hardware that
> > indicated that it was an option.
> >
> > I don't think that either MVT or MFT would have been very
> > stable without it.  I certainly spent a lot of time
> > studying how to get around it, and am responsible for a
> > couple of SPIE patches in the MVT product
> > from exploits trying to get into supervisor mode to muck
> > with such.
> >
> Yes, the SPIE call as supplied from IBM was surely the
> security hole big enough for 5 ocean liners abreast to steam
> right through! Everybody had to patch that, and the patch
> was fairly simple.  But, it was a clear indication of how
> LITTLE IBM thought about security. Of course, they were
> thinking about banks where 3 teams reviewed code before it
> ever ran on the machine, not universities where kids would
> try all sorts of mischief.
> > Yes, I know supervisor state isn't tied to the storage
> > keys, but that was the way I went to
> > try to circumvent the storage keys.
> Oh, once you have the P bit set to zero, you can do
> anything, such as changing the storage protection key of
> your own program.
>
> Jon

I have a school memory of something like that:
my school had a PRIME 9955 with PRIMOS 19, well that system had a hole
in the handling of serial lines with modems. One municipality employee
was logged in from home/work and went home (basically pulled the plug
on the pc and went home.) My friend dialed in and got into the
employees login session....

I have a memory of the responsible system admin when he speaks with
PRIME in Stockholm, well it wasn't the first time this happened...