PC Fortran (Was: Microsoft open sources GWBASIC

Boris Gimbarzevsky boris at summitclinic.com
Mon Jun 1 02:42:43 CDT 2020

Had to fire up BasiliskII to find out what kind of Fortran I used on
Mac in 1988.  Turned out it was Absoft Fortran 2.4 and seemed a bit
strange as I recall M$ was written on floppies that I got for
it.  Did a bit of digging on internet today and, surprisingly, Absoft
still exists and continues to produce Fortran compilers.  What I had
in 1988 was a Fortran 77 implementation.

Liked the Absoft Fortran, but it definitely wasn't PDP-11
Fortran.  Had no trouble porting my old code which primarily did
graphics on a printer (also wrote a huge amount of code to use an HP
plotter a few years before but didn't have one around then).  Looked
at some of the Fortran code to create windows, scroll bars and other
controls and decided that QuickBasic was easier.  Main thing I used
Absoft Fortran for was to learn 68000 assembler as could get it to
dump out assembler for each statement.  Main failing of Absoft Fortan
on Mac was that one had to write ones own graphics routines as well
as deal with the idiosyncracies of Mac files with data and resource
forks.  There was a TOOLBOX command but remember doing anything
required sitting down with Inside Macintosh books to debug errors.

There was a debugger in later versions but at that point had switched
to VB for when I needed to quickly create windows and controls.  Main
failing of Absoft Fortan on Mac was that one had to write ones own
graphics routines as well as deal with the idiosyncracies of Mac
files with data and resource forks.  There was a TOOLBOX command but
remember doing anything required sitting down with Inside Macintosh
books to debug errors.

Also weird that M$ licensed Mac Fortran from Absoft.  Looked at
Absoft's latest versions of Fortran and whole development system
weighs in at 400+ Mb whereas the version I had was about 400 Kb.

Boris Gimbarzevsky