MS-DOS 2.11 Assign.com

Robert Feldman r_a_feldman at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 29 13:37:08 CDT 2020

>Message: 32
>Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 09:35:05 -0400
>From: Bill Degnan <billdegnan at gmail.com>
>
>Robert,
>
>It might very well be that the ROMs are fixed to their drive assignment on
>the Attache.  That's why assign.com is not present.  You can check this
>version:
>https://vetusware.com/download/MS-DOS%202.11%20for%20Otrona%20Attache%202.11/?id=10494
>
>...to see if you're copy is missing assign.com for some reason.
>
>Bill
>
>On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 10:15 PM Robert Feldman via cctalk <
>cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to copy files off my Otrona Attache 8:16 using FastLynx 3.3,
> >but I keep getting an error 708 when trying to push SL.EXE to the Otrona
> >over the serial port. I am wondering if the reason for the error is that
> >the Otrona does not have a C: drive. Therefore, I would like to try to use
> >Assign.com to assign C: to A:, but the Attache version of MS-DOS 2.11 does
> >not include Assign.com. Does anyone have a copy of the MS-DOS 2.11 version
> >of Assign.com they can send me?
>>
> >Thanks,
> >Robert Feldman

I already have the Otrona MS-DOS 2.11 disks from Don Maslin's archive, but (as I forgot to mention), I do not have a modern computer with a 360KB floppy drive. I have an old Dell Precision T3400, but its BIOS will only allow 1.2MB 5.25 floppies.

The version from the Maslin Archive and both my original Otrona MS-DOS 2.11d disks (from 1983) and the MS-DOS-2.11 2.11e disks that I downloaded from FAUG after Otrona went out of business do not include Assign or Subst. However, the 2.11e disk includes support for a hard drive, so I believe that it can handle a C: drive.

I received a copy of Assign from MS-DOS 2.1 from another list member, so I have asked him if he can copy it to a floppy that I can send him.

Bob