OpenVMS Community License

Antonio Carlini a.carlini at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 29 03:28:58 CDT 2020

On 29/07/2020 03:05, John H. Reinhardt via cctalk wrote:

> That's pretty much what I expected.  This also means that anyone
> wanting to run OpenVMS AXP V1.x, 6.x, 7.x and 8.3 or 8.4 is dead in
> the water after Dec 31st 2020.  Not sure why you would want to, but
> I'd wager there is always someone that would.

My VAXen (and Alphas) came with non-hobbyist licence PAKs (generally in
the database, not paper ones) and those will keep working for as long as
the hardware does.

For those of you with hobbyist licence PAKs, I presume that pakgen.c
will work on all versions that VSI doesn't support. I know it's frowned
on but it's not really different to running PDP-11 software is it (as
that is/was generally not licenced).

 > It also means that HPe *could* issue non-expiring PAKS with the DEC
producer which would not impinge on VSI's ability to create AXP, IA64
PAKS for profit.

Do the existing Alpha PAKs work on VSI's latest release? If a VSI
release recognises a PAK with PRODUCER=DEC then presumably that would be
a problem? Although since VSI are covering that same area with hobbyist
licences then that's really a non-issue. I suspect that HPe have other
fish to fry and whoever supported the hobbyist  before is no longer
there or no longer interested in doing so.

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini
antonio at acarlini.com