OpenVMS Community License

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Tue Jul 28 11:01:02 CDT 2020

On Jul 28, 2020, at 7:31 AM, Michael Kerpan via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> This leaves those of us using VAX emulation high and dry, still. HP was
> unwilling to let VSE offer VAX licenses. Are there any good free/cheap
> Alpha emulations that are at least as functional as SIMH is for VAX stuff?
> That may be the way forward, at least until the x86 version ships. Do any
> of these newer things still run VAX binaries? There's a bunch of old games
> like old-school VMS Moria and BOSS (a science fiction game in the
> Rogue/Moria tradition) that I'd like to me able to keep playing.
>
> Mike

Games are among the things that often don’t work on the Alpha.  I’m most familiar with trying to get DND running on Alpha.  You can always try to VEST the VAX binaries (that didn’t work with DND).  I have other software that requires VAX.

Unless my memory is failing, this is also a problem for DECnet routing, isn’t that VAX only?

I just applied for licenses, I’m curious to see what software is included, and if it opens up a newer version of OpenVMS/Alpha than HP was offering.  I’m also wondering if these licenses will work with older versions of OpenVMS (required for older Alpha’s).

Zane