Compaq Smart Array 3200 Controller as a SCSI Controller

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 15:42:16 CDT 2020

On 2020-07-17 5:36 p.m., Grant Taylor via cctalk wrote:
> On 7/17/20 2:30 PM, ben via cctalk wrote:
>> Does modern software even let you know if a drive is failing?
>
> I'm not aware of any software RAID solution jumping up and proactively
> notifying you that there's a problem /by/ /default/.
>
> But I think the same thing is largely true about hardware RAID
> solutions.  The only caveat being an alarm that might sound on a
> hardware RAID solution.  But that assumes that someone is in proximity
> to hear it.
>
> All hardware and software RAID solutions that I've worked with do
> expose the information.  They all also have software that can be used
> to check and then take some action to notify people.

I had a disk that went over a SMART threshold that was part of a mdadm
software mirror and it posted a message every time I rebooted warning of
impending doom.

The systems I support professionally do try to warn the admins, but it
seems that frequently no notice is taken until the level of redundancy
is exceeded at which time the issue becomes more difficult to ignore,
and then begins the waling and gnashing of teeth......

Paul.