NCR 3550 Digital Library Was Re: System Pro WAS RE: Compaq Smart Array 3200 Controller as a SCSI Controller

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Thu Jul 16 10:54:11 CDT 2020

Now in terms of the most MANLY system I worked on, that would be the
NCR3550 we had at the IEEE Computer Society. When I arrived in 1993 it
had been donated, but was doing nothing with 4 486 CPUs in it and a
weird copy of AT&T unix. I took one look at the 256 bit interleaved
memory architecture the 3 levels of cache with affinity, the infinite
amount of space for disks, and the dual micro-channel busses and fell in
*love*

We talked to NCR, upgraded it to 512mb memory, 8 Pentium Pro/200 CPUs,
and dual Microchannel busses with FDDI and Ethernet interfaces. Loaded
it with disks, installed Windows NT 4.0 on it, and turned it into TALOS,
the main server for the IEEE Computer Society's Digital Library (which I
built).

Partnered with Anderson and Netscape to multi-thread commerce server
(SSL), built an E-account system in Lotus Domino/Notes, and loaded up
all of our SGML with an SGML to HTML converter (Dynaweb) and a custom
tool that could convert Tek math to GIFs on the fly. That process could
take advantage of all 8 CPUs and render complex math articles in real time.

Also did e-commerce for awhile with online credit card processing for
memberships and conferences (SuperComputing/95 was the first conference
to do on-line credit cards, I built that too because I was sick and
tired of keying in the cards myself. Laziness is next to godliness)

It served for years as the CS Digital Library core server with
30,000-40,000 accounts in active use. Man that thing was a truck, I wish
I knew what had happened to it.

And to think, it all started with the computer room ceiling collapsing
from all the RS232 cables from the Vax and crushing our Sun Sparc 20 web
server that kicked off this whole thing.

I should write a book or an article about that. We did so much that was
so... new... and all of that could be forgotten like tears in the rain....

CZ