Compaq Smart Array 3200 Controller as a SCSI Controller

Ali cctalk at ibm51xx.net
Tue Jul 14 13:08:18 CDT 2020

> All the Smart Array controllers, to my knowledge, have the ability to
> run as a JBOD, so I imagine that would work. The biggest issue I've
> found with older SA controllers, is getting them configured (and driver
> support for really old ones on modern OSes).

Jason,

Thanks. To be clear there are no HDDs connected to the controller (there is a separate 5304 controller that has all the HDDs on it). I just did not have enough external ports on the 5304 to drive the tape library so I wanted to repurpose the original 3200 controller. I would think it would not be an issue but the system keeps complaining on boot that there are no physical drives (I assume it means HDDs) connected to the 3200.

-Ali