Transformer Fault in a PSU?

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sun Jan 12 15:49:09 CST 2020

On 01/12/2020 03:10 PM, Rob Jarratt via cctalk wrote:
> The PSU in my VAXmate failed recently and I think I have found a problem
> with one of the windings on the transformer not ringing when I test it with
> a ringing tester. The technical description of the VAXmate says that one
> winding is operated in flyback mode and I wonder if that has any bearing on
> the ringing test. Also, one of the pins appears not to be connected to
> anything else, so possibly a broken (melted?) wire.

The un-connected pin COULD be an electrostatic shield.  If
so, it would read like what you get.

> Can anyone help with the following questions:
>

> Does the fact that one winding is operated in flyback mode have any bearing
> on the ringing test?
>
> Can a transformer fail with a bad smell with no outward sign of damage?
Absolutely.  But, are you sure the smell came from the
transformer? Caps are notorious
for being more unreliable.
> Can this transformer be replaced (see picture in blog)? - I suspect not
> unless I find a donor PSU.
It is almost certainly a custom unit.  It is remotely
possible some similar power supply might use
a close-enough transformer.

Jon