Old Nokia/alfaskop 3270 terminal

Mattis Lind mattislind at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 09:23:27 CST 2020

Hi Dave,

Den lör 11 jan. 2020 kl 14:03 skrev Dave Wade <dave.g4ugm at gmail.com>:

> Mattis,
>

> These are VDU472C which were produced with both Nokia and ICL badges. They
> are very much a straightforward IBM3179 clone and have normal IBM coax
> ports on the back.
>
> They have 122-key PC style keyboards with a large plug. Not sure if they
> are AT or XT style. A parallel printer port. Inside there is a M68000P12
> CPU.
>
> So an “embedded system” with no floppies. I have it plugged into am IBM
> 3174 screen controller and can connect out to

Ahh. Then that one is much more modern than the Alfaskop 4110 that I have.
It is based on a 68A00 processor and loads everthing from the communication
processor. S41 series was designed in the laste seventies.  Is the VDU472C
actually manufactured in Sweden like the rest of the Alfaskop series or
somewhere else. Does it say something on some kind of badge?
It would be nice to see a picture.

> I know Matt Burke (9track.net) has plugged his SDLC 3174 controller into
> a CISCO router and used CISCO SDLC encapsulation to pass data to a modified
> Hercules.
>
> This works for MVS but not MTS or VM.

OK. The 4101 comm processor only speaks BSC. Need other software to do SNA
/SDLC. On the other hand BSC is much easier to understand than the SNA
stuff. At least for me who is not used to IBMish. I did manage send a POLL
to the comm processor and received back a valid STATUS message.

> Dave

/Mattis