Design flaw in the SCSI spec?

Antonio Carlini a.carlini at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 8 13:17:42 CST 2020

On 08/01/2020 18:56, Pete Turnbull via cctalk wrote:

> I recall the Christmas when our accountant insisted on an inventory of
> the electronics repair workshop.  We kept our small components in a
> bank of drawers some 1.5m (around 5 feet) wide by about 1m (3 feet or
> so) high.  Each drawer is just over 50mm (2") by 50mm.  A drawer would
> hold several tens of 1/10W resistors, or some loose transistors or
> capacitors, or half a dozen ICs, or... And he wanted each one counted.
>  And a cost given for each single item.  And insisted that estimates
> were unacceptable for either count or cost.
>
> A few years later, when the company was about to be wound up, a
> colleague and I bought the bank of drawers and several other items for
> £100.

I had a similar experience.

"We need you to list each item, with item. We'll check a sample later".

There were many hundreds of boards to list (as well as many systems,
where the requirement was more reasonable).

So I listed each board and when they came to check I picked (at random,
of course) a bag of M9047 cards.

"As you can see, they have an ID on the handle, but no serial number".
They checked, they agreed with my analysis and were perfectly satisfied.

Just simple people skills required :-)

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini