cctalk Digest, Vol 64, Issue 3

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Sun Jan 5 03:28:18 CST 2020

On 1/5/2020 12:56 AM, Jeffrey S. Worley via cctalk wrote:
>>> Was this based on the Cygnus PowerPC port, or was it Apple-
>>> specific?
>>>
>> Sun did a power? PC? port I think paid for by IBM, which would have
>> run
>> on both the open Apple servers that briefly existed, and on IBM PPC
>> systems.
>>
>> A lot of odd PPC work happened in a group a friend worked for in
>> Austin
>> TX, but not sure if they did Netware work there.? There was a lot of
>> OS2
>> work there as well, but that's off track a bit more.
>>
>> thanks
>> Jim
> I was lead tech at a small computer company in Asheville, NC. in those
> days.  I ran OS/2 from version 2 in the early 90's to Ecomstation in
> the early 2000's.
>
> Does Talingent Pink sound familiar?  OS/2 was ported to powerPC, and so
> was Netware iirc.  The field was quite busy with hopeful Microsoft
> killers.  OS/2 was to be morphed into a cross-platform o/s, to wean
> folks from dos/x86..... Then PPC kills the x86 and we all get a decent
> os.  That was the plan anyway.   I never saw OS2 for PPC or Netware for
> OS/2, thought I know both to have shipped.
>
> Jeff

My friend was on the OS2 PPC team, I think, didn't mention that. Been
too long since
I heard from him to be absolutely sure what was when.

If I had to guess from my memory of what platforms he was on, it was
PPC  OS/2 first,
then he and everyone they didn't can was moved to AIX.

Then the decimated it as they have most US development teams.
thanks
Jim