Anyone heard of the S1 Operating System

Peter Schow pschow at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 14:04:03 CST 2020

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 6:20 PM Will Cooke via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:
> Reading through the April 85 issue of Byte, I came across a reference to
the "S1 Operating System."  In Jerry Pournelle's column on pg 361 he talks
about this mysterious OS.

You can find mentionings of 32-bit capable S1 in trade publications
(Computerworld, Datamation, etc.)  in the mid-80s timeframe, and there is
an S1 button on eBay right now with the words "multi user, multi nodal,
multi tasking, multi processing". In a quick scan, I saw announcements of
some S1 OEM agreements, including  Phillips Medical.   It was a product of
Multi Solutions, a startup out of Lawrenceville, NJ, so you'd sort of
assume that some  Bell Labs talent was on staff.  S1 was trademarked in
1986, it expired in 1993.