HP 9000 Series 360 Thin LAN

Frank McConnell fmc at reanimators.org
Fri Feb 21 13:20:07 CST 2020

On Feb 21, 2020, at 10:19, Roger Addy via cctech wrote:
> I am using an HP 9000 Series 360 with a "Thin LAN" coax card to run a piece of equipment. The LAN connection is not currently being used.  I'm wondering if it's possible to connect it to a modern ethernet network?  If so, what could I do with it? I found an adapter on Amazon. I would like to be able to transfer files and possibly print.  The file systems are not compatible except for maybe ASCII files.  Anyone have any thoughts?  Even if I could transfer files into another HP 9000 system it would be beneficial.

It's classic 10Mb/s 10BASE2 Ethernet over RG-58A/U.  You can use a repeater to bridge to 10BaseT twisted-pair Ethernet or 10BASE5 "thick" Ethernet.  It is also easily (if non-standardly) adaptable to 10BASE5 "thick" Ethernet with a passive BNC to N barrel adapter on short segments of each, the on-the-wire modulation is close enough to work.

-Frank McConnell