Please make sure your messages have a Subject: line

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Thu Feb 20 15:40:03 CST 2020

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 12:40:11PM -0800, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
> >>In that case, perhaps there could be a special dispensation,
> >>that messages that mention politics don't need a subject line?
> On Wed, 19 Feb 2020, Ethan O'Toole wrote:
> >Maybe the list could at something like (cct) in front of all
> >subject lines....
>
> That was discussed long ago.  The majority, AT THAT TIME, did not want it.

I use mutt. I receive few thousands mails a month (this month, as of
today, it is close to 4800 already). In mailbox view I press 'l', then
at prompt say 'classic'<enter> and mutt is capable of showing me
everything that came from cctalk/cctech (I guess so, at least). I can
also give it something like 'cctalk|cctech|tuhs|coff' and it limits
view to cover most of my retro mailing lists.

So, speaking just for myself, I do not need [cct] in subject line at
this moment.

> Can you devise a way to have [CCTALK] in the subject of every
> message that does NOT mention politics?

I have read recent polit-thread with a kind of amusement. I am still
subscribed to Python programming language list and they trash my inbox
with questions like "how to sort the list in most kosher Pythonic
way". With the kind of mail traffic I get, I have learnt to not care
much about unwanted delivery.

Natural language processing is probably the answer to your question,
but there are ways to bypass simple implementations and not trivial
implementations are yet to come, I think. Jay-minator, I mean.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola