misc stuff - free

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Dec 16 05:32:34 CST 2020

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 08:09:04PM +0100, Johan Helsingius via cctalk wrote:
> On 15-12-2020 10:40, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
>> It's nothing new. 15y ago or something, there were umpteen Communities on
>> Livejournal for any conceivable subject or interest -- most created by
>> kids without the wits to check for others' before creating their own.
> This is one of the reasons why I miss good old USENET - with a public list
> of groups, and a clear hierarchy.

You know Usenet still exists, right? September finally ended and so the
volume is down, but that is no bad thing.

I run a transit server for my own amusement. (It's even listed in "The
Official TOP1000 Usenet Servers".) I keep toying with asking my peers to
send a full feed instead of just the handful of hierarchies and groups I'm
interested in.