Sun Ultra 10 - openBSD 6.7+Creator3D+sunffb: Xorg and xenocara freeze the system

Vasile Buruiana bvasea at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 14:46:59 CDT 2020

In the mean time I put my three little Ultra 10s to hard work and finally I
solved the mistery:. One ultra10 has a creatir3d, one has an elite3d with
creatir driver assigned, the last one is using the on-board ati video card
(no UPA card).
Here is what I did:

- installed openbsd 6.7 without any x-related packages;
- recompiled xenocara according to the 'readme';
- after carefully consulted the man page, I inserted the following
xorg.conf in /etc/X11:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Xenocara Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        Option         "Xinerama" "On"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option "Protocol" "wskbd"
        Option "Device" "/dev/wskbd0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option    "Protocol" "SunMouse"
        Option    "Device" "/dev/tty00"
        Option    "BaudRate" "1200"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor"
        VendorName   "Eizo"
        ModelName    "FlexScan F563-T"8
        HorizSync    31.5-60
        VertRefresh  50-70
EndSection

Section "Device"
                Identifier  "creator0"
                Driver  "wsfb"
                Option "device" "/dev/ttyD0"

                Option     "ReferenceClock"        "28.636"
                Option     "UseFBDev" "true"
                Option     "accel" "True"
                VendorName "Elite3D"  # according to dmesg
                BoardName  "SUNW"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "creator0"
        Monitor    "Monitor"
EndSection

____________________________________
option device ->  /dev/ttyD0 is the creator3d/elite3D UPA card,  /dev/ttyC0
is the onboard ati card.

driver "sunffb" not working.
driver "wildcatfb" also not working - that's for expert3d and xvr UPA cards
with "wild cat labs" labels on their chips.

I did not try that xorg.conf + creator3d + included x-related packages (no
xenocara) yet. It may work.

Hardware acceleration sucks for both creator 3D and Elite 3D - I have both
boards. The performance is close to Solaris 10+ original drivers. However
it is far better than on-board ATI. 640x480 MPEG movies render bad, they
drop frames:  mplayer + xv and +sdl.
I wonder how xvr1000 performs.

Vasili
www.linkedin.com/in/vasea