SIMH on low overhead platform

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Aug 17 12:50:36 CDT 2020

On 8/17/20 12:43 AM, Tom Hunter via cctalk wrote:
> Has SIMH been ported to a low overhead (instant-on) platform?
>
> I ask the question because the startup time of Linux is distracting when
> powering on a PiDP-11/70 or similar clone systems based on SIMH.

There are some very small versions of Linux that load quickly,
particularly if you don't need GUI support.  For example, BusyBox is a
"stripped to the bones" Linux that finds its way into many (if not most)
'net appliances, such as modems and routers.

I don't know if SIMH will run on it, but there are many other "small"
Linuces.

FWIW,
Chuck