Wake-on-LAN, teletype style

steven at malikoff.com steven at malikoff.com
Mon Apr 27 03:24:53 CDT 2020

I've started scanning a few more of the BHP docs I recovered a while back, and thought this one was interesting.
A 1973 gizmo that buffers just enough received data for a relay to close and power up a teleprinter's motor to
operating speed before printing, apparently half a second was sufficient it reckons.
The buffering is through a pair of 64 x 4-bit Fairchild 3341 FIFO memory chips.
https://archive.org/details/utec-bmc-6092-buffered-idle-line-motor-control-for-asr-33-teletype-instruction-manual

One of the other docs mentions they had an ASR33 with this buffered motor control installed connected to PDP-11/10.

Steve.