LINC-8

Steven M Jones classiccmp at crash.com
Sun Apr 26 17:58:18 CDT 2020

On 04/26/2020 13:38, Noel Chiappa via cctalk wrote:
> Wow:
>
>    https://www.ebay.com/itm/353062352448
>
> I've read manuals for these, but I've never even seen a picture of one before.

They had one of these in use at the William Penn Charter School (K-12
prep school) in Philadelphia through the early 1980s. When in use, I
believe it was paired with a Teletype, I would guess a 33 variant but
the memories are fuzzy.

I mis-remembered the name for years as a LINC-5 -- understandably
confusing to folks who usually expressed polite disbelief when I would
describe it...

It was left in the "computer room" (e.g. large closet) and neglected
after the last class using it graduated, while younger students were
exclusively using the handful of Apple IIs sharing the space.  I'm
afraid the LINC was picked apart by bored students, who liked to pull
out Flip Chips, glance at the components on them, and let the cards pile
up in the bottom of the rack... Then it disappeared over break or summer
vacation one year, don't recall which.

--S.