Pdp11/05 boot media

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Sat Apr 25 18:43:24 CDT 2020

On 4/21/2020 9:34 AM, Chris Zach via cctalk wrote:
> Or someone could lend you some floppies. I have an RX02 drive here I am
> putting back together, right now I have it switched to emulate an RX01
> with my RXV11 controller. I'll look through my floppies and see if I
> have some RX01 disks I can load up with RT11.

> On 4/21/2020 10:15 AM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
>> On 4/21/20 5:02 AM, Bill Degnan via cctalk wrote:
>>> Using an older version OS and PDPGUI send a tape image into RAM
>>> through the
>>> serial port.  Helps if you have a m9312 ROM board.  You can make rx01
>>> disks
>>> using dunfield's disk utility (right?) I believe but I never actually
>>> did
>>
>> Yes, that's assuming you have a PC with an FDC capable of
>> writing/formatting FM floppies.
>>
>> --Chuck

Another option would be to use TU58em (a real serial port makes life
easier), and boot RT11 on the 11/05 with an image created under SimH.  I
did that recently with an S100 PDP-11 board from s100computers.com and
got RT11 and diagnostics to run.  (Long story, that.)

Then you could use that to set up an RT11 floppy on the 11/05.

RX01's are, IIRC, just standard IBM 3740 format, yes?

JRJ